Thursday, September 18, 2008

Near Death Experience

I went to the boat as usual today to drop Maddy (the dog) off to her mommy, and then to say hi to Jeff since he was on duty. The problem? It was high tide, raining & windy. So the "brow" (gangway, bridge, whatever you want to call it - you go up the stairs & across the brow to get onto the boat) was nearly straight up because of high tide, and because it was windy the stairs (they're on wheels) were moving all over the pier which then moves the brow so it's not straight. And then to top it off they had to fix the regular brow, so they had the back-up brow on and that it very slippery! It doesn't have the "grippers" that the usual one has. And although there are hand rails they're metal & as I said it was raining so they were very very slippery. I thought for sure I was going to fall off, slide down, drop my purse into the water below, etc... My heart was racing, let me tell you. When I was was ready to leave I was talking to Jeff about how nervous I was coming onboard, but he hadn't been out or looked at the brow, so when we get outside, he was a little pissed. He went down first and was moving the stairs around to straighten it all up, and then I had to try to get back down. My legs were jelly when I finally got to the car. My pants were also pretty wet from standing out there waiting for Jeff to get it straightened and then trying to get the courage up to go down. Oh geez. Hopefully the tide is down now because we're on our way to have dinner on the boat (oh joy, what delicious meal are we having?), but I did tell Jeff that if it wasn't I was not going to risk getting the kids up & down that damn thing.
*deep breath* I'm still nervous thinking about it.

ETA: So the tide was still high at 5:00 - no dinner on the boat. Went to Baja Taco instead LOL.

No comments: