Saturday, November 29, 2008

proud as a peacock

Brett had a swim-a-thon this morning for the "Iceworm Swim Team". They would swim for 2 consecutive hours or 200 lengths of the pool, whichever came first (the swimmers are up to 8th grade). I didn't have any idea how many laps B would swim and he was guessing around 20 or so. So I (as well as some friends) pledged 25cents per length. Well I now owe 22.50 because he swam 90 laps! He swam 1 1/4 miles! He didn't stop (except to adjust his goggles & take a drink of water), he never once complained that he was tired, wanted to be done or anything! I can not tell you how proud of him we are. There were lots of kids (his age as well as younger) who swam a lot more laps, but it was not about the number at all. He just kept going. He's so awesome. But we were in a bit of a hurry getting out the door so I forgot my camera, so no pictures. But anyway, he raised $149 (there were a few kids who earned upwards of $600-$700), so that's a pretty good contribution to the team I'd say.
And then this afternoon Jeff helped B's Cub Scout den earn the "Readyman" badge (that's the one with first aid & such). I volunteered him for that (hehehe). They try to get all the parents to help with a badge, and when I heard them talking about asking one of the EMTs from the fire dept. I told them Jeff's the "doc" on the boat! So they were happy to have him do it, and he's happy it's now done and over with.

No comments: